A medical home is a doctor's office, clinic or health department where he staff knows you, your child, and your child's health history. It is the one place you take your child for all their health care needs such as check ups, sick visits, non-emergent accidents like scrapes and cuts, special health needs and shots.
Choosing a quality medical home is important! You want to take your child to someone you trust, someone who respects you as a full partner in your child's care.
Questions to ask when finding a quality medical home are:
- Do they accept your child’s health insurance?
- If you cannot pay what you owe, can they set up a payment plan for you?
- What are the office hours and do they have on-call doctors for after hour emergencies?
- Will they work with you in planning all your child’s care?
- Can they handle children with special needs?
Take the time to find the right medical home for you and your child. It's the right call every time.