Carolina Community Health Partnership Network encourages physicians, patients and managed care professionals to ensure better medication management. We would like patients to become more involved in their health care. When it comes to using medicines, there is no such thing as completely safe. All medicines have risks. FDA approval of a drug simply means that the benefits outweigh the known risks. Managing medication compliance improves outcomes. We encourage consumers to become more active in their medication management in the following way: Speak Up! The more information your health care team members know about you, the better.
Discuss the following with your doctor:
- Your medical history
- Allergies and sensitivities
- Prescription medicines and over-the-counter medicines you take
- Dietary supplements, including vitamins and herbals
Although medicines can make you feel better and help you get well, it is important to know that all medicines, both prescription and over-the-counter, have risks as well as benefits.
Types of risks from medicine use:
- Possibility of a harmful interaction between the medicine and a food, beverage, dietary supplement or other medicine
- Chance that the medicine may not work as expected
- Side effects from the medicine may cause additional problems